State Wide Calls
Times and Phone Numbers
National Call, Thursday, June 18, 3pm EST, 1-866-528-9731
The transportation bill is coming out in a matter of days and we want to make sure we're moving in the right direction. 140 different organizations signed on in support of Representatives Holt, Carnahan, and Inslee's National Transportation Objectives Act of 2009 (HR 2724), but now we need to take the next step and get all of Congress on board.
Ask your Representative to co-sponsor HR 2724. With so much money involved in the next bill we must have a clear vision with specific goals to ensure that our money is spent wisely. Don't forget to send us your feedback.
Join your state call or the national call this Thursday to get the latest from the Hill and to give us any updates from the field.
- Call your representatives: Tell your House members to join Representatives Holt, Carnahan, and Inslee as cosponsors of the National Transportation Objectives Act of 2009.
- Talk to the media: Host a regional media briefing, issue a press release, or write a letter to the editor about our goals for a transformative transportation bill. Contact us to get started.
- Mobilize your supporters: When the bill is introduced, encourage your supporters to join the National Call-in Day to tell Congress what we think of the bill.
Report from Washington
- Representatives Holt, Carnahan, and Inslee introduced HR 2724. The bill defines national transportation objectives and goals in order to meet the the economic, energy, environmental, and social-demographic challenges of the future.
- T4America came out in support of Representative Carnahan's HR 2746, which aims to provide additional operating assistance grants for public transportation agencies.
- June timeline: Oberstar will be introducing an outline of the transportation bill this Wednesday, June 17th, in anticipation of releasing a draft of the bill after the July 4th recess.
Welcome our New Partners!
-Veritable Vegetable, Inc.
-Community Environmental Council
-American Society of Landscape Architects
-Local Government Commission
-Walk San Francisco
Partners in the News
The New York Times published a great article last week covering the growing interest in rail as a means for jumpstarting local economies, and referenced the work of multiple T4 partners, including Reconnecting America, Jonathan Rose Companies, Congress for the New Urbanism, and the American Public Transportation Association.
With Congress debating the climate bill and preparing for the release of the transportation bill, environmental advocates including the Environmental Defense Fund and the Natural Resources Defense Council, are working to make sure the federal government makes the connection between these issues. Finally, the Truck Safety Coalition was highlighted in a recent article on the dangers posed by truckers driving when they are tired.